Irkutsk drama theatre named after N. P. Okhlopkova

Irkutsk

Irkutsk academic drama theatre named after N. P. Okhlopkova — drama theater in Irkutsk. One of the oldest drama theaters in Russia, founded in 1850.

The status of a professional theater acquired in 1850, when a traveling troupe of actors remained in Irkutsk for permanent work. The first performances were given in the Noble Assembly of Irkutsk.
In 1851, under the patronage of Governor-General Nikolai Muravyov-Amursky, the construction of a wooden building for the theater was completed, which officially opened on September 22, 1851.

November 2, 1967 by the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR theater was named after the outstanding Soviet Director N. P. Okhlopkova, whose theatrical activity began on the Irkutsk stage.

August 31, 1999 by order of the Minister of culture of the Russian Federation theater was awarded the honorary title of "Academic".

Since its Foundation in 1850, the theatre has been housed in wooden buildings that often suffered from fires and natural destruction. And now, in 1897, the troupe moved to a stone building, built according to the traditional scheme of the "tiered theater", designed by the chief architect of the Directorate of the Imperial theaters schröter VA.

Financing of works and the construction itself went under the tireless control and patronage of the Governor Alexander Goremykin. The new theater impressed not only the rich decoration but also the excellent acoustics of the auditorium. It was built in three years and stood the theater to this day, rightly considered a masterpiece of Russian architecture of the XIX century, "...the like of which can not be found from the Urals to the Far East."

From time to time the building was renewed, re-equipped, changed outdated systems with new ones: kerosene lighting gave way to electric, several times blocked the roof, replaced pipes and Sewerage.

At the beginning of the XX century, the third floor was built over the side rooms around the auditorium, finishing and restoration works were carried out in the auditorium, the turning circle of the stage was electrified.

But the building from year to year more and more dilapidated, there were drawdowns of the Foundation, deformed wooden floors, hopelessly outdated systems and communications, there was an acute shortage of office space.

By the mid-1980s, all load-bearing structures had practically exhausted their life. The question of complete reconstruction, the project of which was engaged in the branch of the Institute "Giproteatr" in Baku, was acutely raised. However, due to the collapse of the USSR, it was not possible to implement the project.

In the 1990s, to create a new restoration project involved employees of the research Institute "Spetsproektrestavratsiya" from Moscow. Engineering surveys, measurements and technological analyses of materials were carried out[6].

In 1997, having won an international tender for works on the restoration and extension of the theatre proceeds CJSC "Irkutskpromstroj". The development of the project of reconstruction and restoration of the theater building was entrusted to a temporary creative team, which included: architects, urban planners, art historians, engineers-economists from the city and regional administration, the Center for the preservation of historical and cultural heritage, from the Irkutsk state technical University and other institutions. The General designer was JSC "Institute "Irkutskgrazhdanproekt" (head — A. A. Papanyan, the authors of the restoration project — B. I. Troitskiy and L. M. Gurevskaya, the author of the Annex project — A. G. Krasilnikov).

During the work and implementation of the project, the builders had to face a lot of difficulties that sometimes seemed insurmountable, however, by the beginning of 1999, almost all construction and restoration works were completed and the updated theater opens its doors to the Irkutsk audience.

When visiting Lake Baikal, it is imperative to visit this historical landmark, as well as Olkhon Island or Listvyanka village on Lake Baikal.