Circum-Baikal Railway (CBR) on Lake Baikal
Circum-Baikal Railway (Circum-Baikal Railway) - built in the period from 1899 to 1905. The usual name used now in everyday life was the Mysovaya section during its construction and the beginning of use, the total distance of this section is 260 kilometers. Now the Circum-Baikal Railway is owned by Russian Railways. The name Circum-Baikal Railway was received by the name of the department that was involved in its construction.
Now, from the historical Circum-Baikal Railway, a section has been preserved from the Slyudyanka station to the port of Baikal. Initially, the Circum-Baikal Railway began from the Irkutsk-Passenger station to the Slyudyanka station.
After the commissioning of the backup section through the Olkhinsky plateau in 1949, the Irkutsk - Baikal - Slyudyanka line lost its former significance. The section from Irkutsk to Baikal station, passing along the left bank of the Angara, was disassembled and completely flooded in 1958 with the waters of the Irkutsk reservoir after the construction of the Irkutsk hydroelectric station. Thus, the Baikal-Slyudyanka port section became a dead end.
In total, 41 tunnels were erected during the construction of the Circum-Baikal Railway, and subsequently the eastern portal of tunnel No. 9 on Lake Baikal, the Circum-Baikal Railway, was destroyed by mudflow in 1971. Thus, a total of 40 tunnels were preserved, with a total length of about 9 and a half kilometers. In the most dangerous natural areas of Lake Baikal, stone and reinforced concrete galleries were erected. At the intersection of the Circum-Baikal Railway, more than 450 bridges were built. To ensure the strength of the structure, retaining walls have been equipped along the entire Circum-Baikal Railway, slopes have been strengthened with rubble stones, and drainage and drainage systems for natural waters have been arranged in Lake Baikal.
Before the flooding of the Baikal-Irkutsk port section, on June 30, 1956, the last transit train passed through the Circum-Baikal Railway. The second tracks were removed, some stations were abolished.
At the end of the 70s, the Circum-Baikal Railway received the status of a historical and architectural monument and was taken under state protection.
Currently, every tourist can go along the route of the Circum-Baikal Railway. The preserved portals and arches of tunnels, bridges, viaducts will appear. The architectural style of the objects is determined by the work of Italian architects and designers.
Particularly outstanding architectural objects on the Circum-Baikal Railway are the engineering complex of the Kirkirei Rus watercourse, consisting of a concrete rapid flow into which the waters of the Kirkirei stream flowed, connected to a stone water well, passing behind the tunnel portal above the retaining and wave-breaking walls and flowing into the Lake Baikal through a reinforced concrete spillway .
Numerous retaining Italian walls, the project of which was developed by the Italian Ferrari, and who had in its features a lot in common with Italian architecture of that time.
Tourists will see arched viaducts over Lake Baikal.
Only registered users can write reviews